Wednesday, April 25, 2012

3KCBWDAY3

Your Knitting Or Crochet Hero
Blog about someone in the fibre crafts who truly inspires you. There are not too many guidelines for this, it's really about introducing your readers to someone who they might not know who is an inspiration to you. It might be a family member or friend, a specific designer or writer, indie dyer or another blogger. If you are writing about a knitting designer and you have knitted some of their designs, don't forget to show them off. Remember to get permission from the owner if you wish to use another person's pictures.


I have only recently started reading knitting blogs.  I tend to knit in waves, sometimes I knit up a storm, but when the storm passes, I have huge dry spells and don't want to look at anything knitting related for a while.  So, the first knitting blog I ever read was purlbee.  I must have been one of their first regular readers.  However, I also sew, so that blog has held my attention continuously, due to the fact that there are multiple appealing aspects to it, other than just knitting.  Also, their sense of color...amazing.

Marian
Seedling hat
However, my most recent knitting storm has been going for a few months now, and I've been knitting like crazy,... hm, ok, obsessively.  I think this is the longest knitting has held my attention, and I find myself looking for others as obsessed as I am right now.  So, when I really love a pattern in a book, or on Ravelry, I need to know more about the artist.  In January, I knit up the Marian, and decided to check out Jane Richmond's blog, and enjoyed reading about her adventures.  Also, she's Canadian, and my husband is Canadian...so instant connection.  At Stitches West, I was looking for Coastal Knits, and found Alana Dakos' booth, and fell in love with the seedling hat.  Since then, I've been reading her blog.  

Learning to knit
First try at entrelac
Finally, I have to mention my husband.  He re-learned to knit a few years ago, when we first started dating.  His first project was a hat, which he made for his sister who was going through chemo.  His dedication to get it just right was amazing, and his commitment to learning new techniques is ridiculous.  I think every project, he's learning some new technique.  Project 1: learn how to knit.  Project 2: learn how to purl.  Project 3: learn how to double knit.  Project 4: learn lace patterns.  Project 5: learn how to knit in the round.  Project 6: Pass wife's knowledge and learn wrap and turns and intarsia before she does.  As you can see, something new and difficult with each new project!  And he documents progress on Ravelry.  Phew, it's hard to keep up!  I do knit faster than he does, and have more practice.  However, just to keep up, I learned entrelac this past week, which I've been meaning to learn for over 5 years!  

So those are the people that inspire me right now!

No comments: