Sunday, April 29, 2012

3KCBWDAY7

Crafting Balance 
Are you a knitter or a crocheter, or are you a bit of both? If you are monogamous in your yarn-based crafting, is it because you do not enjoy the other craft or have you simply never given yourself the push to learn it? Is it because the items that you best enjoy crafting are more suited to the needles or the hook? Do you plan on ever trying to take up and fully learn the other craft? If you are equally comfortable knitting as you are crocheting, how do you balance both crafts? Do you always have projects of each on the go, or do you go through periods of favouring one over the other? How did you come to learn and love your craft(s)?


I totally lost track of posting over the weekend!  I promise the posts for Friday and Saturday will be up in the next day or so.  

So, I started out a crocheter.  I learned from a crafting book that I bought at Michael's that looked like it was written in the 70's.  I love to crochet, especially since it gives me the freedom to free-form on the fly.  Making stuffed animals is so rewarding.  However, crocheting hurts/tires my hands quickly.  

A couple years after I learned how to crochet, one of my friends asked me if I could teach her to knit.  I went into my local yarn store and asked if I could get a short lesson.  After 15 minutes, I was knitting.  Since then, I've really expanded my knitting skills.  Knitting is easier on my hands and wrists than crocheting.    

So, with regards to what I do now.  I like to crochet animals, and I like to knit garments.  However, my hands always complain when I crochet, so I just can't go back to it anymore.  I miss the easy and simplicity of crocheting.  Learning something new with crocheting is quick and easily mastered.  Luckily, knitting has more possibilities and I continue to learn new techniques.  Now, I am totally devoted to knitting, and love it, even though crocheting was my first love.  :)

No comments: