Thursday, April 26, 2012

3KCBWDAY4

A Knitter or Crocheter For All Seasons?
As spring is in the air in the northern hemisphere and those in the southern hemisphere start setting their sights for the arrival of winter, a lot of crocheters and knitters find that their crafting changes along with their wardrobe. Have a look through your finished projects and explain the seasonality of your craft to your readers. Do you make warm woollens the whole year through in preparation for the colder months, or do you live somewhere that never feels the chill and so invest your time in beautiful homewares and delicate lace items. How does your local seasonal weather affect your craft?


I have actually thought about this quite a bit.  

I usually just knit whatever inspires me at the moment, whether it is weather appropriate or not.  

Sometimes this is works out well, as when I started to make a million thick heavy scarves last summer.  This early start during the warm months meant that when I was actually done knitting those scarves, I was on time with my Christmas presents.  

Usually these whims get me into trouble though, because then I don't make appropriate accessories, homeware, or items for the season.  It really is just silly to knit a warm hat in the middle of July, only to be worn when I snowboard in February...  

But I really can't help myself, when I see a pattern I really like, I just want to knit it right away!  And besides, the opposite has happened to me when I start projects during the right season.  Sometimes I get bored of a pattern, and it'll take me long time to go back to it.  The seasons change, and I have a nice breezy lace shawl, on a cold winter night.

Luckily, Northern California really only has two seasons, warm and cool.  Plus the weather where I live is so erratic, sometimes it's freezing in the middle of July (think a foggy San Francisco).  So it pays to be prepared for any weather all year round!

No comments: